One of the important components of fitness program is fitness training. Strength training burns calories more efficiently and thus with fat reduction in the body, it increases lean muscle mass.
Lean muscle mass is not permanent, the body loses the muscles naturally as it ages or grows. In case you don’t exercise and use the lean mass in your body, you can end up losing it to body fat. Strength training gives you the right exercise to help you retain and develop muscle mass, whatever age you may be. Without exercise slowly with age, the fat percentage in the body grows and replaces the lean muscle mass present in the body. Let us look at some benefits of strength training:
1. Developing strong bones: during strength training the bones of the body are stressed, this in turn increases the bone density, thereby reducing the osteoporosis risk in the exerciser.
2. Weight management: this is one direct benefit of strength training. Strength training increases the metabolism and helps burn increased number of calories. This in turn helps manage weight loss.
3. Quality of life: strength training makes you lose excess fat and builds muscle mass. Thus it provides you with better body control, body balance and improved ability to perform ADLs. With age one may become more accident prone and strength training gives you the ability to be physically independent to perform all necessary activities as you age.
4. Chronic condition management: Strength training strengthens your core and gives you a healthy body. Strength training in course of time helps with problems like back pain, heart disease, arthritis, obesity, depression, diabetes, etc.
5. Thinking skills: there is research to suggest that older adults with continuous strength training coupled with aerobic exercises have shown to improve and sharpen their thinking and learning skills.